First Top-10 of the Year!

I had completely forgot about the event coming up, so my normal preparation was limited to a last minute cram session. With that lack of preparation came added stress and "butterflies" I normally don't get. It weighed on my mind so much that I dreamt about it.

I kept my normal routine the morning of but the butterflies had turned into bats. As always, it is essential to be on the front in the beginning and this was no different. An hour before the start, we were already staging and taking our place.

There was a neutral start with directions from the director. The tension mounted. I said my normal pre-event prayer and took a last glance at the others. I could tell everyone was feeling the weight of the moment. I took note of the ones that didn't have a chance. I took note of the ones that would be true competition. I took one last inventory of my equipment then . . . . . GO!!!
Everything was a blur. My actions were jumping ahead of my thoughts. I began to rush. The more I tried to control myself the more anxious I became. I was finally able to find a rhythm, but was that rhythm fast enough?

I knew I didn't finish first, but I knew I had finished well before most. As the director counted off, my heart rate followed suit. Only the top-20 reap the reward. As she motioned towards me, she smiled and said "Number 10."

I coach for a living so as the inner child in me bounced off the walls and said a bunch of nah- nah-nee-boo-boos,while the professional side of me gathered up my equipment and waited for my friend's result. He wasn't quite as fortunate, finishing 22nd, two places out of the prizes.

Although it's early in the season, this could be my best result of the year. You see, this wasn't even a bike race. This is what I had to go through to get Cadence in Pre-K next year. I along with 38 other parents were simultaneously given a five-page application, given instructions, the directed to GO. The first 20 to correctly complete the application and turn it in wins a spot for his/her child. Everyone else will go on a waiting list. Absolutely CRAZY! This essentially ends up being a $6,000 payout. We won't have to pay for daycare next year. I finally get to take advantage of one government program. SHOW ME THE MONEY BABY!

No comments: