Tiff, Cadence, and I loaded up and headed down to First Presbyterian this morning (First Prez as it is most often called). Last month we went down and took 4 clunkers and pieced together 3 bikes to be given to selected homeless members of our community. (I will refer to these people as our friends from here on out). Since then, 2 of the bikes have found homes and 1 is waiting to be distributed. This morning the plan was to set up and try and give a 5-minute tune-up to anything rolling in on wheels.

Kirby, the first recipient of a bike, was there helping set up for the meal. I grabbed his bike and gave it a once-over to make sure everything was still secure. As I was cleaning off the chain, another friend asked if I'd take a look at his bike. Several adjustments, a new seat, and some TriFlow later he was set (or at least better off than when he rolled up).

A while later a friend came up on a Schwinn cruiser. When I asked if I could check it over, he looked puzzled then asked how much it'd cost. When I told him it was free he didn't believe me. For a second I think he thought I was going to steal it, but when he saw me put it on the stand and start wiping it down his whole demeanor changed. He asked some questions and we talked a bit. He genuinely seemed happy and surprised.

Only 3 bikes today, but as word spreads I think I may get busier. Josh was able to stop by for a little while today. Hopefully we'll be able to make this available everytime First Prez offers their services. We may have to start collected discarded bikes and parts so that we can help more of our friends have rides that are a little safer and road-worthy.

1 comment:

Suzy Neal said...

Very awesome. We might have some parts and accessories that aren't in use that could help some friends in need of transportation.
Have to see what we can gather up before we see you at Dauset...