Question of Riding Etiquette



Group rides take on different personalities depending on the participants and groups take on different personalities given the relationships, styles, etc. I've caught myself several times the last few weeks shaking my head in aggravation over something someone has done in the pace line. Some things are obvious etiquette infringements, but others may fall in that grey area. So, I pose the following questions:

1. Should you accelerate on up-hills and coast on down-hills?
I personally find it aggravating to have someone drill it up a hill, only to have them blow and slow several miles per hour over the top, which results in a slower downhill speed and rider chaos. I'd rather see someone hold a constant speed or slowly deccelerate up the hill in order to smoothly reaccelerate down the hill.

2. If you are getting popped on a climb should you hold your line or move out to allow riders through?
People may disagree, but I feel like it is safer if the popped rider just holds their line. Yes, riders back now have to move out and accelerate, but that's better than starting the same move and having the slower rider move into your line. On the flats it's easier for a rider to move out, but on a climb the same move can't be anticipated as quickly.

Just a few thoughts. Leave your comment below.

No comments: