Dauset SERC/GSC

Gene is the only SGC p/b Breakaway Cycles rider that has traveled to any of the Goneriding XC races this season. So it worked out pretty well that Amy and Sarah decided that they would like to join their handsome mates for a weekend of racing and excitement.

This weekends lodging was provided by Hampton inn. I like to think of the Hampton inn as the working mans ritz Carlton. If you measure your lodging on the 42" flat screen, lack of bed bugs and other peoples stray hair in your bed then the hand written sticky note stuck to the head board confirming that clean comforters had been provided, just sealed the deal on our pure luxury accommodations.

Since this weekend was a SERC/GSC race weekend the anticipation of a larger crowd was confirmed when there were approx 60 riders competing in the GSC bonus round TT on Saturday afternoon. I went off first and hoped to put down a fast time but was over taken for the 1st time this weekend by Ryan Woodall. This time by only 10 seconds. Gene had to wait about an hour to go off since we were heading out at one minute intervals.

Gene scored some needed points in his class with a 6th place to finish and I managed 2nd place 10 seconds of the winning time of a 4.5 mile course.

After getting cleaned up we headed out to margaritas Mexican restaurant for some nourishment. We were tacos were the food of choice and margaritas were the drink of choice. Texas, mango, and some big old beer margs were consumed. Gene may have chosen the wrong tacos. Bacon, shrimp, and other items may have caused Bolt Speedman to loose some of his bolt in the middle of the night. Maybe he and Bill need to discuss diet choices.

We had a last minute addition to the travel team. Buck and Haile joined us for dinner and came out the next day to hang out and cheer everyone on. Thanks!

Race day. After sleeping well in the Hampton inn ice box Amy and I are off for my start at 9:30. Arriving late as usual, I quickly checked over the faithful steed, lubed her chain and headed out to try to warm up in about 10 mins.

I decided to race in the pro class this weekend to see how I would stand against some of the fastest guys in the southwest. I was rewarded with the presence of Ryan Woodall and Thomas Turner. So my plan was to sit 3rd to 4th wheel and hang on as long as possible. So after the first turn when I was rolling second wheel, I wasn't too pleased but was up for the challenge. About half way through the first lap I even thought it was a good idea to go to the front and put down the pace to see how my technical skills added up against these guys. At this point it was just 4 of us that had gotten away from the field and the gap was significant. Everything was going well on the front until I came around a tight right hand turn in the big ring into a step technical climb. All three guys came by, I regrouped quickly but they were flying and I put myself deep into the red zone as they put 30 seconds on me.
I recovered and rolled back onto Robert Marion's wheel about 1/2 way through the second lap. We rode together till the finish where he nipped me in the sprint. He may have even pinched me into the barrier to slow my sprint. Either way, it was a great race and I finished about 4 mins off Thomas and Ryan's pace. I still have some work todo but a good measure to start the summer.

Gene went off at 11:45ish after a bit of a delay. He didn't get the best start but was able to ride a solid race and finished 12th for his category but will equate into some important points for the overall GSC series points.

Jeff Walters also made the trip up from Albany to compete in his second MTb race of the season. Good to see you out there Jeff.

Missing his weekend were the other usual suspects we haven't heard from mr. Riddle after he assured us that he was coming up Sunday.

Another fun weekend of MTb racing. Lots of good folks that get along and share great stories. Thanks to Sarah and Amy for your support. Thanks Buck and Haile for cheering us on out on the course.

I you made it his far through the write up then thank you for reading as I rambled. If our weekend of racing and adventure sounded fun to you then you should try it. Goneriding.com has a couple races in June near he Albany area. Or you can always check out chainbusterracing or dirty spoke racing for other great events around the state.

Until next time...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Dauset trails

No comments: